Massage Therapy CEs | Massage Concepts and Techniques
Sports & Exercise Massage
Massage Therapy continuing education CEs awarded: 25
Course classification: Kinesthetic (course materials teach specific techniques to use on clients during a massage therapy session.)
Approved by: Institute of Somatic Therapy (Judith Koch) is approved by the NCBTMB (Provider #280672-00) as a continuing education Approved Provider. Institute of Somatic Therapy is approved by Florida (#MCE-326), and New York (#0019). Our courses are also valid for AMTA, ABMP, and most individual states. Some states limit how many hours can be done online or by home study. Please refer to our State Guidelines section for specific information about your state. Laws can and do change, and your state will hold you responsible for knowing the laws that apply to you.
Attention Florida & Georgia licensees: Institute of Somatic Therapy will automatically report your hours to CE Broker ONLY IF you have provided your license number in your online account with us. You can verify your license information by logging on to our website, and reviewing your account information that appears on the left side of the page. If your license is not shown there, please select “edit” to include it.
Tuition: We offer two enrollment options for this course.
- Materials by mail: If you wish to receive the textbook and study guide by mail and take the test online, the tuition is $176 plus shipping. Please allow ten business days for delivery. You will be able to print the course study guide from your online account.
- Test only: If you obtain your own textbook elsewhere, you can enroll for just the online test for $129. There are no additional materials that you will receive by mail . The "test only" option is just that - you are only getting the online test that you will complete based on your study of the textbook, so that you can earn continuing education credits. You may email to request a copy of the course study guide to be sent to you by email.
Testing: You take your test online, and immediately upon passing, print your own certificate.
Course Materials: Sports & Exercise Massage, 2nd Edition, by Sandy Fritz (Textbook includes instructions on how to access online videos demonstrating techniques, a stretching atlas, a general massage protocol, and additional case studies.)
Course Description: One of the most popular and utilized reasons for massage therapy comes from athletics. Whether your client is an occasional weekend warrior or a seasoned triathlete, this course is full of techniques to ease their aches and pains, as well as help enhance sports performance. You will study the theory and application of sports massage, plus sports injuries and dysfunction in general and by specific body parts.
Publisher's Description of Textbook:
Providing guidelines for applying massage to amateur and professional athletes, Sports & Exercise Massage: Comprehensive Care in Athletics, Fitness, & Rehabilitation, 2nd Edition helps you address the challenges of treating clients involved in sports, physical fitness, rehabilitation, and exercise. In-depth coverage describes common patterns for sports activities, such as running and throwing, and uses the principles of massage to focus on assessment techniques, indications, contraindications, and outcome goals. This edition includes a new chapter on stretching, hundreds of full-color photos of techniques, and an Evolve companion website with step-by-step videos demonstrating sports massage applications. Written by noted educator and massage therapy expert Sandy Fritz, this resource provides the proven massage techniques you need to manage common exercise and sports injuries and syndromes.
- Comprehensive coverage includes all the essentials of sports and exercise massage in one resource, with topics such as theories of sports, fitness, and rehabilitation; a brief anatomy and physiology review; basic nutrition for fitness; a review of massage methods and detailed descriptions of therapeutic techniques that apply to sports massage, such as lymph drainage, care of acute injury, connective and deep tissue applications, and pain management; and discussions of categories of injury common to athletes: sprains, strains, wounds, contusions, joint injury, and more.
- More than 600 full-color illustrations show procedures, concepts, and techniques.
- Student-friendly features include chapter outlines and learning objectives, key terms, summaries, review questions, a glossary, and In My Experience boxes highlighting real-life situations in sports and exercise massage.
- Case studies provide an opportunity to develop clinical reasoning skills.
- Student resources on an Evolve companion website include videos demonstrating techniques, a stretching atlas, a general massage protocol, and additional case studies.
- Expert author Sandy Fritz provides massage for professional athletes in many sports, and her school, the Health Enrichment Center, had a 13-year partnership with the Detroit Lions.
Table of Contents:
Sports & Exercise Massage, 2nd Edition
UNIT ONE: THEORY AND APPLICATION OF EXERCISE AND ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE
1. The World of Sports and Exercise Massage
2. What is Sports Massage
3. Evidence for Sports Massage Benefit
5. Fitness First
6. Sport-Specific Movement
7. Nutritional Support and Banned Substances
8. Influences of the Mind and Body
UNIT TWO: SPORTS MASSAGE: THEORY AND APPLICATION
9. Indications and Cautions
10. Assessment for Sports Massage and Physical Rehabilitation Application
11. Review of Massage Methods
12. Stretching NEW!
13. Focused Massage Application
14. Unique Circumstances and Adjunct Therapies
UNIT THREE: SPORT INJURY
15. Injury in General
16. Pain Management
17. Common Categories of Injury
18. Medical Treatment for Injury
19. Systemic Illness and Disorders
20. Injury by Area
UNIT FOUR: CASE STUDIES
21. Case Studies
If you are interested in this massage therapy CEU course, other courses that might be of interest to you are: Anatomy Fascial Lines, Facilitated PNF Stretching, Strength Training Anatomy
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Will your online testing work on my phone, tablet, or other device? Since technology continues its rapid pace forward, it is impossible for us to provide a current and complete list of all devices on which our courses will work. We invite you to take our free sample course so that you can personally test if the online content and streaming video work on your device.
Can I print the online test to work on it at my convenience? When you enroll for the materials by mail, you will receive a printed copy of the study guide. Test only students can email us requesting a copy of the study guide to be emailed to them. You can use the study guide to prepare you for taking the online test. You also have the option of sending in the study guide as a paper test. There is a $20 fee for paper testing and certificate by mail.
What is the study guide that comes with the course? The course study guide is a copy of the questions you will find on the online exam. As you study the course materials, you can fill in the answers on the guide, to refer to when you complete the online exam. We do not provide page numbers where you will find the answers to the questions, because we want you to study the entire course materials, not just flip to a page to find an answer to a test question. Because the study guide contains the actual test questions, we do not provide an answer key. It is your job to find the answers as you study. You will get your grade when you complete the online exam.
What happens if I fail the test? Do I have to pay again? No. If you happen to fail our test, you can continue to retest until you do pass at no additional charge. With most of our courses, as noted above, the test will be different each time you take it. You can print out your test results to use as a reference for studying before taking the test again.
Is online testing the only testing option you have available? If you enroll online, you will automatically be set up to take the online exam. If you prefer to have a paper test we are happy to accommodate that. There is a $20 fee for processing paper testing, which includes the premium, gold-embossed sealed certificate (online testers also have the option to purchase a premium certificate for $15).
What is the difference between cognitive and kinesthetic courses? Cognitive courses are those that teach concepts related to massage therapy, but do not teach specific hands-on techniques. Courses such as ethics, pathology, anatomy, and research are classified as cognitive. Kinesthetic courses are those that teach specific hands-on techniques that you can use on clients during a massage therapy session. Some states limit how many kinesthetic courses can be completed in an online or home study setting. Refer to our state guidelines page for specifics about your state.
Do you report our course completions to the NCBTMB, ABMP, AMTA, or any other agencies? None of these agencies have a method for us to report to them on your behalf. They prefer that you provide the evidence of CEs that their renewal process details.
To contact the Institute of Somatic Therapy about this or any other massage therapy CEU course, please go to the "contact" link above. Thank you.