Massage Therapy CEs | Florida Laws and Packages
FL New Therapist - Laws, HIV, Medical Errors #20-354809
Massage Therapy continuing education CEs awarded: 15
Course classification: Cognitive (course materials consist of concepts related to massage therapy but do not teach a specific hands-on modality)
Approved by the Florida Board of Massage Therapy, Provider #MCE-326. CEBroker Provider # 50-1116, Course Tracking Number 20-354809. PLEASE NOTE: Some others states or boards may accept parts of this package (such as the HIV and Medical Errors) but may not accept the Florida laws portion outside of Florida. It will be your responsibility to determine if any of these 15 hours will count for any other agency than the Florida Board of Massage, if your intent it to submit them to a different board for continuing education credits.
Course Description: Therapists relocating to Florida need to take three courses prior to applying for their Florida Massage Therapy License: 1) 10 hour Florida Laws & Rules, 2) Prevention of Medical Errors, and 3) Communicable Diseases/HIV for Massage Therapists. This is a discounted package special of all three courses. Each course will be accessed and taken individually.
Information on each segment of this package is as follows (you may click on the course names below to be taken to the page for that individual course):
- Florida Laws & Rules, 10 CEs: This online continuing education course is required for massage therapists who are seeking their Florida massage therapy license for the first time. It is designed for massage therapists who were trained in other states who now wish to become licensed in the State of Florida. This satisfies the 10 CE Florida Laws requirement for initial Florida massage therapy licensure. The course covers the current laws that apply to the practice of massage therapy in the state of Florida as contained in Chapter 456, Health Professionals and Occupations: General Provisions; Chapter 480, Massage Practice; and Rule 64B7 – Rules related to Chapter 480. We have condensed well over 100 pages of legalese into a compact form.
- HIV/Communicable Diseases, 3 CEs: This segment of the online course covers the biological laws of disease, the body's defenses to disease, and the stages of disease development. You will be able to identify the symptoms, type of pathogen, and modes of transmission for numerous common communicable diseases (including HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis, and more), and identify prevention and sanitation techniques to prevent the spread of disease.
- Prevention of Medical Errors, 2 CEs: This course reviews common contraindications for massage therapy, and teaches you how to recognize them, and if possible, work around them.
Tuition: $79 for online versions of each course and test. $119 for course materials of all three courses to be mailed to you. Students enrolling by mail will still have instant access to the online versions of these courses. Mailed material consists of printed student handout from each course. Any PDF files attached to the online course will not be included. You may print them yourself if you want a hard copy. There are no DVDs with any of these courses. These courses also have links to online articles or videos that are best accessed through the online version of the course.
Testing: You complete your test online, and immediately upon passing, print your certificate. To see how our online courses and testing work, we invite you to take our free sample course.
Instructor: Judith Koch
Becoming Licensed in Florida: Massage Therapists who wish to become licensed in Florida have two different options:
1. Licensure by endorsement is available to massage therapists who have a minimum of 500 hours of massage therapy education from a board approved facility, hold a current (cannot be expired or suspended) license in another state, and have successfully completed one of the examinations accepted by Florida (see below.) Here is the Florida official link for more information on this option: http://floridasmassagetherapy.gov/licensing/licensed-massage-therapist-lmt-by-endorsement
2. Licensure by examination is available to massage therapists who have a minimum of 500 hours of massage therapy education, but either do not hold a current license in another state or have not successfully completed one of the examinations accepted by Florida. (See below.) Here is the Florida official link for more information on this option: http://floridasmassagetherapy.gov/licensing/licensed-massage-therapist-lmt-by-examination
Regardless of which of the two above methods you are using, all applicants must also complete three required continuing education courses: 10 hours of Florida Law, 3 hours of HIV/AIDS, and 2 hours of Prevention of Medical Errors. Our Florida New Therapist Package on this page will satisfy this requirement.
At the time this article was written, there were four available options for the examination requirement:
1. Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx) administered by FSMTB.
2. National Certification Examination in Therapeutic Massage (NCETM) administered by NCBTMB.
3. National Certification Examination in Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCETMB) administered by NCBTMB.
4. National Exam for State Licensure (NESL) administered by NCBTMB. The NESL exam option is no longer available, but will still be accepted if taken prior to its retirement on December 31, 2012.
For more information, you can contact the Florida Board of Massage as follows:
PHONE: (850) 245-4161
FAX: (850) 921-6184
Upon completion: If you do not yet have your Florida license, it is your responsibility to notify the Florida Board of Massage Therapy of your completion of the required courses. You will be able to print extra certificates of completion, or save the certificate on your computer to email to the board. We can only report your hours directly to CE Broker if you already have a Florida Massage License, and if you provide that license number as part of your online profile with us before you complete the test.
Student Comments: "This was my third on-line CE course. I only wish that I had taken the other two through you. This class is presented very well and clear. For such a dry topic it was informative and held my interest. Thank you!!!!"
Myrna Silva, Lake City, FL
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Are your online courses downloadable to my computer? You must be logged in on our website to view at least some of the course materials. Many of our courses do have downloadable files.
Will your online courses work on my phone, tablet, or other device? Yes. Since technology continues its rapid pace forward, it is impossible for us to provide a current and complete list of all devices on which our courses will work. We invite you to take our free sample course so that you can personally test if the online content and streaming video work on your device.
Can I print the online courses if I want a hard copy? Most browsers allow you to print screen shots of any web page you visit but often the formatting leaves much to be desired. If you prefer hard copies, you are much better off with the “by mail” version if that is available for the course you are taking.
Can I print the online test to work on it at my convenience? Yes. We provide a study guide with this course that has the test questions and answer choices. You can print it off and work on it as you study. When you are ready to take the test, you will log into the system and supply your answers to the online test questions.
What happens if I fail the test? Do I have to pay again? No. If you happen to fail our test, you can continue to retest until you do pass at no additional charge.
Can I review the course materials after I’ve completed the test? Yes. Even after completing the online test, you will always have the option to log back in to access the course materials, print another certificate, or review your test results.
Do you report our course completions to CE Broker or the Florida Board of Massage? No, not if all you have is a Florida application number and are not yet licensed. It is the responsibility of the applicant to report this course completion as part of your application process. ONLY if you have a Florida license (MC12345 styled license number), and have that linked to your online account with us, will we report to CE Broker.
To contact the Institute of Somatic Therapy about this or any of our other online continuing education courses, please click on the "Contact" tab above, or call us at (417) 589-0314. Thank you.